The Key to Your Life – In Three Chapters
There those few lucky ones among us who are born knowing what they want to do in life. For the rest of us, we get to work out this puzzle like doing longhand division — it takes time.
- Chapter 1 – Discover Who You Are
- Chapter 2 – Discover the range of work that calls to you
- Chapter 3 – Pick something in the range and go for it
But First, An Introduction
All good books have an introduction. For the faith-based among us this introduction is your getting connected to your Creator. Ask Him why you are here. Ask Him why He created you. Don’t stop asking until you have an answer. Some people stick with this question for only a few hours until they get an answer. For others it may take years before they get an answer. Keep pressing. This is the best time you could possibly spend.
You can hear an answer in a number of ways. See if any of the following pertain to you:
- A particular magazine, book, or TV show “speaks” to you.
- Your friends say that you are good at a particular skill or particular range of skills.
- You get a great sensation in your “heart” when thinking about a certain job or career.
- You feel that you identify with the main characters in a movie.
For more on a faith-based approach to learning who you are, see It’s Your Call by Gary Barkalow. This is perhaps the single best book I have ever read on the topic of calling. You will also want to take a look at Wild At Heart by John Eldredge, in particular, chapters 1 through 3.
In upcoming articles I will unpack key milestones in chapters 1, 2 and 3.